Lose 30 Pounds in 6 Weeks?
Trying to lose weight is one of those age old dilemmas which many of us continue to face. Especially now in the information age, there are so many “quick fixes” for losing weight that you’re likely to end up more confused than successful on your weight loss mission. Here’s one proven method you may not have tried yet or even heard of.
Protein-sparing modified fasting (or PSMF) has been around for a long time and it’s used extensively in the medical community, frequently to help patients rapidly lose weight in order to be better surgical candidates. It’s a low calorie diet, but doesn’t result in a high level of hunger after the first few days.
The diet is simple and inexpensive. Best of all, it’s very effective at promoting fat loss while maintaining muscle mass. As with any diet, discuss your plans with your physician before starting.
Consider these steps when setting up and following this diet:
- Determine your ideal bodyweight. Be realistic. Some of us aren’t meant to be 5’8”, 116 lb. models. But a slender, healthy goal is entirely reasonable.
- There are plenty of tables and charts out there to provide guidance. However, most people have a pretty good idea of what they should weigh.
- For our example, let’s assume 150 lbs. for our ideal bodyweight.
- Determine your protein requirements. There are numerous formulas, but the simplest one is to set your protein requirements at (0.8 grams x ideal bodyweight in lbs.).
- For our example subject, the proper protein consumption would be 120 grams (150 x 0.8 = 120).
- The protein in the diet will help to maintain your muscle mass and provide a small amount of carbohydrates for your brain (protein can be converted to carbohydrates).
- Only use high quality protein sources. Quinoa, hemp, nuts, seeds, beans, green peas, leafy greens and tofu are all ideal. If you eat dairy, low-fat dairy is acceptable.
- If you’re not vegan, low-fat dairy is also a great choice. Calcium is important to weight loss, so that’s why dairy products should be included.
- Get your essential fatty acids needed for various biological processes. Taking 8 grams per day of flaxseed oil, walnut oil, or a combination of these oils and nuts and seeds, is all you need. Strive to keep the rest of your diet as fat-free as possible.
- No carbohydrates. This is the challenging part for most folks. One of the cornerstones of the diet is to eat as close to zero carbohydrates as possible. There are many biochemical changes that occur when carbohydrates are absent from the body.
- If you want to quickly burn fat, then deprive yourself of carbohydrates. Unlike fats and proteins, carbohydrates don’t have to be consumed to support life.
- Eat your veggies! This diet allows for a generous consumption of most vegetables. The following are off-limits: corn, peas, carrots, and avocado. These vegetables are too high in carbohydrates or fats. Stick with non-sweet vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, cucumbers, and peppers.
- Take a daily multivitamin. The whole point of this diet is to only supply the calories and nutrients you require to survive. So take a daily vitamin to stay healthy.
- Have a plan for after the diet. It’s possible to maintain this type of diet indefinitely, though higher calorie levels would most likely be needed.
- However, it’s likely that you’ll feel better with some quality carbohydrate sources. Any naturally occurring source would be a good start. Oatmeal, rice, sweet vegetables, and fruit are good choices.
The PSMF diet is highly effective, and you should expect to lose approximately 30 lbs. in a 6-week period. There are numerous scientific studies online to support this diet and those numbers. Talk to your doctor before you get started and try not to get discouraged. The diet is much easier after a week or so. You shouldn’t feel hungry after that time period.
Be Sure to Exercise!
Regardless of any diet strategy you use to lose weight, there’s one item that’s often overlooked. The cause of your previous weight loss defeats might be that you haven’t been able to achieve a successful balance of diet and exercise.
Achieving that balance is the quickest, most effective way to get the results you’re looking for.
Try these strategies for getting PSMF and exercise to work together for your best outcome:
- Eat sufficiently on workout days. Even though you’re working toward burning off calories, exercise actually works better when you maintain healthy consumption patterns.
- The body needs fuel to do what you want it to do. That fuel comes from food, so restricting it may result in ineffective workouts.
- Not consuming enough on workout days can cause your body to go into survival mode and burn valuable muscle tissue instead of fat because it feels you’re starving it.
- Stick to the diet. The worst thing you can do is make unhealthy food choices on workout days! Not only could it compromise any progress you’ve made, but it could also make your workout ineffective and difficult.
- Cheat days are recommended by some fitness experts. It’s one day a week when you can indulge in one or two of your favorite guilty pleasure eats. However, I recommend you save this advice for after your protein-sparing modified fast.
- Set workout time around your meal schedule. It’s important to set your workout time around your meal schedule so you’re able to get as much worth as possible from your meals. Otherwise, the foods you eat may just leave your system without being of much benefit to you in your workout.
- Experts recommend that on average, anywhere between one and two hours after a meal is a good timeframe to wait before working out. By then, your body is likely ready to make use of the fuel you gave it.
- It’s also a good idea to switch up your meal content depending on the time you’d like to exercise. For example, you could have high-carbohydrate meals earlier in the day and exercise earlier so you can burn much of it for energy.
If you’ve struggled to lose weight even though you’re exercising, balancing your PSMF and exercise routines may be the secret you’ve been missing. Use these tips to get the maximum benefit from diet and exercise so you can achieve the fit and trim body you’ve always wanted.